A Bite Inspired by… The Oscars 2017:
Who doesn’t love a good, soft sugar cookie? Well, these Gold Star White Chocolate Cookies take the star power one step further. Each star-shaped cookie is dipped in luscious white chocolate and finished with a touch of gold sugar. They’re perfect for Oscar Night or any other time you want to feel like a star (read: all the time!)
This post contains affiliate links. I only post links to products I completley trust and highly recommend. Please see full disclosure here.
What’s not to love about the Oscars? The well-dressed celebrities, the glamorous red carpet, and that random-looking gold statue dude that everyone wants? Yay! It’s my favorite major televised event of the year, hands down (sorry, Superbowl!)
I have to admit to you all that I’m definitely a movie nerd. That doesn’t just mean that I watch a lot of movies. It means that I actually research and read about movies too. Apparently, just watching a movie isn’t enough for me. Nope, I have to analyze it too. I also keep a list of all the movies I’ve watched within a year and give each movie its own rating on a scale of 1 to 10 and write a few comments about it. Last year, I watched 71 movies. I don’t know if I have too much time on my hands or if this is just a really passionate hobby of mine. I choose to believe the latter. Yes, my name is Alyssa and I’m obsessed with movies.
I also get particularly obsessed with Oscar movies. The year of the 2014 Oscars, my dad and I watched all nine movies that had been nominated for Best Picture that year during the span of the week right before the Oscars. In order to accomplish this, we had to get a bit creative. This included watching “Wolf of Wall Street” (a 3-hour movie) at a movie theater in one part of town and then driving to a different movie theater 45 minutes away to watch “American Hustle” because they weren’t showing both movies at the same theater. My obsession with movies is real, guys. Send help. 😉
Unfortunately, this year I wasn’t able to watch as many of the Oscar nominees for best picture prior to the big event. I’ve only seen “Hell or High Water” and “Hidden Figures” so far. Hmm… maybe I do have a life outside the movies, after all? 😉 Which ones have you all seen? What’s your favorite? Drop a comment below and share with me!
Since I’m such a movie junkie, I obviously have a special recipe that I created just for the Oscars. I’ve harnessed all the star power of Oscar Night to bring you these Gold Star White Chocolate Cookies. These cookies are divine—I could eat them all in one sitting. Soft, sweet sugar cookies dipped in creamy white chocolate and finished with a bit of gold sugar to add that touch of shine—what’s not to love? They’ll be the talk of your Oscar party, guaranteed!
I know you’ll want to keep making these deliciously addictive cookies long after Oscar season is over, so here’s a few other suggestions for you:
- make them for the kids when they ace that exam or do all their chores
- make them for your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend when THEY do all their chores (haha) or just to show them they’re the “shining star of your life” (aww)
- make them for yourself because, let’s be real, you’re the real winner of the family—you deserve just as much love (and COOKIES) as everyone else!
Seriously, guys. Nothing makes someone feel like a winner like a delicious star shaped cookie dipped in chocolate and topped with gold.
So, go ahead! Give your friends/family/yourself the star treatment you all deserve with these tasty cookies! My Gold Star White Chocolate Cookies truly prove that you don’t have to be on the red carpet to feel like a star. But you already knew that, right? Enjoy! 🙂
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (this amounts to TWO 8 tablespoon sticks of butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 pounds white chocolate
- Gold sugar or sprinkles
- Add butter and sugar to a mixing bowl. Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time beating with mixer until smooth.
- Add vanilla. Beat with mixer until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well until combined.
- Add the bowl with the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Beat with mixer until well combined.
- Cover the dough and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about ½ inch thickness.
- Using a 3-inch star shaped cookie cutter, cut shapes into the dough.
- Re-roll any remaining cookie dough and repeat the process from step 9.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges begin to brown.
- Carefully remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Melt white chocolate in a double boiler (see note)
- Lay out 1-2 large pieces of parchment paper (enough to accommodate all your cookies!)
- Take one cookie and carefully dip the top of it into the white chocolate. Let excess drip off.
- Place cookie onto parchment paper and sprinkle with the gold sugar.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cookies.
- Place cookies in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow chocolate to harden. Enjoy!
Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you’re mixing.
You can flour the cookie cutter to keep it from sticking to the dough.