A Bite Inspired by… Legally Blonde (2001 Film):
Bend and snap! If you’re a “Legally Blonde” fan then you’ll love these chewy and sweet Naturally Pink Protein Snacks! They’re made with healthy, protein-filled ingredients like rolled oats, cashew butter, and flaxseeds to keep you full for hours! Whether you’re up late partying at the Delta Nu house or cramming for your next law exam, these delicious treats will give you all the energy you need to keep going! This pink power snack will inspire you to always be your best self– just like Elle! So, go ahead. Embrace your inner Elle Woods and make yourself (or your kids!) this easy, tasty treat!
This post contains affiliate links. I only post links to products I completely trust and highly recommend. Please see full disclosure here.
“Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t.” Every true Elle Woods fan is familiar with this iconic quote from the 2001 smash-hit comedy “Legally Blonde”. This hilarious movie stars Reese Witherspoon as the charming, more-than-meets-the-eye, Elle Woods, who goes on a whirlwind adventure through Harvard Law School after being dumped by her college boyfriend. While many of her classmates assume Elle is an airhead due to her blonde hair and bubbly personality, she quickly proves everyone wrong by cleverly winning her first murder case! The endorphins thing was only the start.
Speaking of endorphins making people happy, I’ll tell you what else will make you happy—these sweet and chewy Naturally Pink Protein Snacks inspired by Elle Woods. These delicious bites are filled with cashew butter, rolled oats, dried cherries, flaxseeds, and honey then rolled in “naturally pink” finely shredded coconut. Yum! One bite and you’ll be addicted. They’re that good. The perfect snack for when you want something sweet, but still healthy. People who eat these snacks just don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t.
Elle would love these adorable, healthy protein snacks because:
- Elle’s favorite color is pink! From pink sunglasses to pink hats to a pink outfit for her dog, Bruiser, Elle is clearly a lover of all things pink and these protein balls are PINK! Naturally pink, I might add. The pink color comes from beet juice, which dyes the coconut a gorgeous pink without any added taste. I have a feeling Elle isn’t super into artificial colors (EWWW), so I made sure these protein snacks were all natural. Perfect! No yucky artificial stuff here!
- Elle is a law student and law students need their energy! From late night study sessions with Emmett to preparing for her next case, Elle needs a snack with plenty of protein to keep her energized and performing at her best! This delicious snack is chock full of protein-filled ingredients for lasting energy. You can even add a scoop of protein powder for an extra boost (see recipe notes for details). No slacking!
- Elle clearly watches her figure. She wouldn’t want to eat anything that could make her chunky—duh! That’s why every ingredient in this snack is healthy. Cashew butter provides healthy protein, while ground flaxseed adds a ton of health benefits. These protein snacks definitely won’t wreck your waistline.
- Elle demands perfection in every area of her life, so I highly doubt she would eat a dry, tasteless snack, no matter how healthy it was. You shouldn’t either. Healthy definitely doesn’t mean dull. With delicious ingredients like nuts, dried fruit, and honey, your taste buds will never get bored. Fabulous!
- Elle introduces herself: “Hi. I’m Elle Woods and this is Bruiser Woods. We’re both Gemini vegetarians”. As you can probably guess, these protein snacks are vegetarian, so there we go! Both Elle (and Bruiser—maybe?) are free to happily consume these tasty snacks.
These delicious snacks will be a hit at your next “Legally Blonde” movie night. Make this recipe instead of popcorn for a healthier, more satisfying movie snack that will keep you full for hours. They’re also perfect for kids! I gave a few of these to a friend’s 8-year-old daughter and she was crazy about them! She couldn’t get over the vibrant pink color and the sweet taste. From adults to kids, sometimes you just need a pretty, (naturally) pink treat! Snaps for healthy snacks!
- Mix oats, cashew butter, ground flaxseed, dried cherries, and honey together in a bowl. Make sure everything is well combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Put shredded coconut in a quart size ziploc bag. Add beet juice. Close bag tightly then shake until coconut is fully coated in the beet juice and has a nice pink color to it. Feel free to add more beet juice for a darker pink.
- Spread the pink shredded coconut onto an even layer, on a large plate.
- Remove bowl from the fridge.
- Spoon out about 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture. Roll it into a ball with your hands.
- Place the ball onto the plate with the shredded coconut and roll it around it's fully coated. Place on in a separate bowl or plate.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with remaining mixture. The balls will keep in the fridge, tightly covered in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. You can also freeze them. They'll stay fresh for longer and you can enjoy them thawed or frozen!
If you have a gluten-intolerance, be sure to choose gluten-free rolled oats.
Make sure you choose a bottled beet juice that is JUST beets without any additional vegetables. A little lemon juice is okay, but the primary ingredient should be beets. I used Lakewood Organic Pure Beet Juice. You can find it on Amazon here.
PRO TIP: Wear disposable gloves when rolling the balls in the coconut, so you don't stain your hands.